Sunday, February 03, 2013

My GL: TAS Sketches

It's about 2 a.m. as I'm writing this, so I'm not going to go all out in terms of eloquence. This past Monday, I found out that two of my favorite animated series were getting canceled: Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Young Justice. To me, this move of Cartoon Network reeked of "bottom line," where toys aren't selling well, and two other series -- Beware the Batman and Teen Titans Go! -- wait in the wings.

Both series had slow starts. In the case of GL:TAS, some people couldn't get past CGI that looked like crap to them. Also, the series launched launched after the Green Lantern movie starring Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan. I'm being charitable in saying that it was really dissappointing. However, the past season-and-a-half has made for great space opera action, and it would be a shame to flush it so soon.

Now . . . I can't draw for crap. If you've read my "30-Second Recaps" (2007, 2008, 2009), you'll see that I struggle with mere MS Paint. I think that part of the reason for collecting sketches is direct compensation for this flaw. As of this writing, I'm closing in on 700 sketches, dating back to 1999. It's an bit of an obsession. Anyway . . . since I want this post reblogged to campaigns to save GL:TAS and Young Justice, I'd like to share sketches based on the shows. Today, here's what I got from GL:TAS.


AYA
Sketched at Super Wild Pig Show 2012
May 6, 2012


RED LANTERN RAZER
Sketched at Superheroes for Hospice Show
June 23, 2012

BLUE LANTERN SAINT WALKER
Sketched At New York Comic Con
October 12, 2012

No comments: