Thursday, April 14, 2016

The A-To-Z Challenge 2016: Louie La Palombara III

Sometimes, you don't know if an artist you like will be at a convention until you get there. Last November, I went to Long Island Who 3, my first Doctor Who-themed convention. I had my sketchbook with me even though I knew this wasn't going to be like the cons I usually visit, because I saw two artists were going to be there. What I didn't know was that one of the vendors was Geek Boy Press . . . also known as Louie La Palombara III. Turns out he had designed a t-shirt for the convention. Small world.

Louie is one of those artists where I always try to get something from him. He usually sells t-shirts and prints, but I don't buy either of those often. If he has the time, he can draw something for me,  The first time I met him was at Wizard World Philadelphia in 2008, where I got a sketch of Hyperstrike from Who Wants To Be A Superhero? In retrospect, I probably should have paid extra for color.


Usually, I wouldn't know when Louie would be at a show I was hitting, and it would be a pleasant surprise. When I got something from him, it would be very catchy, and he could roll with some of my odder choices with enough references.

 
 
 
Also, the odds were good that I would be in the mood for a Doctor Who-based sketch. A lot of the merchandise Louie would sell was related to the show, so of course he was a fan.
 
 
 
As for Long Island Who . . . Louie was happy to draw for me, and I had the latest copy of Doctor Who Magazine for reference material. I wound up getting The Foretold from "Mummy On The Orient Express."
 
 



HONORABLE MENTIONS: Roger Langridge (four sketches, including the second, third and fourth-most viewed items in my CAF account as of this writing), Michael Lark (one; the only Joker commission I ever wanted), Alvin Lee (two; both highly-viewed), Jeff Lemire (five, including this stellar Essex County-based commission), Yasmin Liang (two),  Scott Lobdell (one; this portrait of me he drew while I was getting a sketch from another artist).

No comments: