Monday, April 18, 2016

The A-To-Z Challenge 2016: O

I'm going to do something a little different today. I don't have a "go-to" artist whose name starts with "O." Since there are only a few artists in that category, I'm going to post them all.

Bryan Lee O'Malley

While I have commissioned many artists to draw characters from Bryan's "Scott Pilgrim" books (including all seven of Ramona's evil exes), I've only met him once, at MoCCA in 2006. While I'm thinking about it . . . if anybody knows what the insignia on Scott's shirt represents, please let me know. And check out his books. The movie wasn't as good as those.


Kevin O'Neill

I've gotten all of Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen books, but I have but one character from that series: Mina Murray by co-creator Kevin O'Neill. Maybe if I get enough money, I can shell out for other figures and incarnations.



Nikki O'Shea

This is from the first time I went to AnimeNEXT, an anime con located in Somerset, NJ. I only went for one day that year, but I managed to get four sketches. I gave Nikki some references from Detroit Metal City, and she ran with it. The premise behind the manga is awesome: a wannabe hipster milquetoast is secretly the head of the most vicious death metal band in Japan. If you ever got into Metalocalypse, you should seek the books out. Here's what I found when I searched Nikki's name. I hope that's the right link.

Michael Avon Oeming

I've gotten three sketches from him, all quickies, including one of Deena Pilgrim from Powers, the series he co-created with Brian Michael Bendis. That was the first sketch I ever got at MoCCA.

 
Victor Olazaba
 
I got a quick Wolverine from Victor at the Marvel booth at New York Comic Con last year. I'm more of a DC Comics guy, but that company insisted on putting their area on the other side of the Javits Center, and the guest schedule was only available via app. I don't even take my iPad with me when I go out, so I wound up not going there, opting for freebies from Marvel.
 
Jerry Ordway
 
I met Jerry at The National in 2006. This Lady Blackhawk went well with the other Birds of Prey-themed sketches I acquired while Gail Simone was writing the series.
 
 


No comments: