Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The A-To-Z Challenge 2016: Q

I only have four sketches from three "Q" artists. I'll have more to talk about tomorrow.

Joe Quinones

I have gotten three sketches/commissions from the extremely talented Amanda Conner, but I could never get the timing right to get Power Woman from Kingdom Come from her, since she was synonymous with Power Girl. By the time New York Comic Con rolled around in 2013, I gave up and asked Joe for a sketch at the DC Comics booth. I think it turned out all right.

Jan Marc Quisumbing (aka "The Janimal")

Once or twice a year, I would go to West Orange, NJ, for the Superheroes For Hospice Show. Basically, people would donate comics to the St. Barnabas Hospice, and they'd sell those at discount. Writers and artists would get tables and sell their stuff as well. In July 2013, I met Jan/Janimal. I was reading FF at the time, and a future villain was being touted hard: Doom the Annihilating Conqueror, a gestalt entity of Doctor Doom, Annhilus and Kang the Conqueror. This was based off the reference I gave to Jan.


Jason Quinones

I see Jason at local cons, but I've only hit him up for sketches twice. Both times, I was in the mood for something offbeat, and he delivered both times. At the New York Comic Book Marketplace 2012, I had just seen The Adventures Of Tintin, and I figured it would be cute to have the Metal Man known as Tin portrayed as Tintin. Jason did a good job, and he threw in Tintin's dog Snowy (Milou in the original French) at no extra charge.

Later that year, I met Jason again at King Con in Brooklyn. By this time, I was going through my "South Park characters as Lanterns" phase, and I had reached green. I wound up asking for three characters as Green Lanterns: Stan, Kyle and Wendy (I know, she always wears purple, but I had somebody else in mind to represent Star Sapphire). Jason came through for me, and I think he also sketched Mogo (the planet that was a GL) in there as well. And before you ask . . . yes, I had reference for Kyle Rayner's uniform at that time in mind for South Park Kyle's outfit.

1 comment: