Saturday, April 23, 2016

The A-To-Z Challenge 2016: Ty Templeton

I've been to Toronto four times. All four times, a convention was involved: Fan Expo Canada (formerly known as Canadian National Expo). Aside from trips with my mother, I have never flown somewhere without a con. Sometimes, I wonder if I need a life. Then again, I don't know what I'd do with myself if a show wasn't involved. I'll do tourist stuff as best I can, but I need the focus of a major con.

Anyway, all four times I've been to Toronto, I have met Ty Templeton.  He told me that he doesn't go to American conventions because he's not happy with that government's policies. Most of the time, he sticks with Canada. Every time I've met him, I have wound up getting an affordable sketch. In 2005, he was the artist on the miniseries Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm With Stupid, which is worth tracking down. I had gotten a few Spider-Man sketches by then, so I asked Ty for Peter Parker.

Two years later, I was getting sketches of the main cast from Who Wants To Be A Superhero? I asked Ty for the first season's winner, Feedback

By 2011, I was consumed with weird ideas for sketches. One of them was based in Marvel Comics: "If Daredevil is 'The Man Without Fear' and 'hose that know fear BURN at the Man-Thing's touch,' what would happen if those two characters met?" I don't know if it actually happened, but I gave Ty an outline as to what I figured would go down, and the result was posted in ComicsAlliance's Best Art Ever (This Week).


The last time I met Ty was in 2014. I had seen Guardians of the Galaxy by then, and I was getting characters from that movie. Ty did an excellent Groot for me while I waited.


HONORABLE MENTION: Jill Thompson (six sketches; three from The Sandman, two from Beasts of Burden), Bruce Timm (a quick Batman head sketch from Comic-Con International 2000), Bobby Timony (five sketches), Peter Timony (one from Bobby's twin brother).

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Ty seems very talented. Congrats on getting to T! There are no comic book cons in Hawaii that I know of. Maui Jungalow

Jason said...

I did a search and found a few shows in Hawaii. I don't know either one would be doable . . . I can't say that I'm familiar with your neck of the woods. If you can get to Honolulu, there's Amazing Hawaii Comic Con.